Monday, June 13, 2011

Update about PMI in Dallas (email I sent prayer partners)

I just want to thank everyone for their prayers and words of encouragement. We had a great trip to Dallas! (be prepared, it's a bit lengthy!) 

I can't even begin to explain to you how much we learned and how many amazing people we met throughout the week. It's an understatement to say that we came home feeling tremendously overloaded and desperately aching to just go right away.
But, of course, Phil is the rational one and always keeps me grounded, so he pointed out the importance of not just jumping into things because I'm on an emotional/spiritual high. And of course he is right.
So we are putting in motion a series of check points for the next couple of months to determine if this is the right fit for us and the right fit for PBT.
Let me share with you those check points and then I'll try to give a brief overview of how the trip went (who knows how "brief" it'll actually be, since I tend to be a rambler anyway).

Our check points consist of meeting with a few people to discuss our thoughts, our desires, our passions and how they may or may not fit in with PBT. These people have agreed to pray about these matters on our behalf, and then after a period of time, we will meet again and discuss the matters further. We will also be keeping in contact with Nathan Davenport (the recruiter with PBT) and talking to him about this process. We are also considering going on a type of Internship with PBT, but that won't be until next summer.

We learned a lot about many different countries and different areas that we could fit into those ministries. We talked with missionaries that are already there, met people that are in the process of going and also those that are still unsure (just like us). We learned a great deal about the organization, their passion for the unreached and Bibleless people of the world and the great need that is still so prevalent. 
Throughout the whole week, we gained valuable information and insight and we definitely felt the workings of the Holy Spirit. We learned that PBT is trying to get into places like India and China, but that it's pretty difficult to get into places like that unless you have another reason for being there- say, Business or maybe Community Development (which, coincidently Phil and I have). Throughout the week I just kept thinking about India. It was on my heart and in my mind. I couldn't shake this strange desire and passion to work with the people of India.
Nathan said that they have been wanting to take a sort of survey trip there to see what the different needs are and see how PBT might come along side them to meet some of those needs. And then it dawned on me (i'm a little slow at times)! We are going to India in October!
How strange that PBT really has no missionary's there, that Phil and I have backgrounds that would enable us to stay in the country, and that we are taking a mission trip there with our church in October!

I can't say for sure that going to India is what we will do. We also felt that a couple other places would be great too, and that we could really utilize our gifts and abilities in those areas too. However, God's ideas and my ideas are often 2 very different things. And I'm choosing now to abandon my own ideas and seek instead what God wants for us.

Will you please be in prayer with us as we go to God about these decisions! It was an incredible week and I know that it will be an incredible journey as we figure out the plans God has for us. For all of us.
Thanks again for supporting us and seeking God on our behalf! We are so appreciative!

Please feel free to email me! I welcome thoughts and suggestions, advice and guidance. And if there is anything that you would like us to pray about, please do not hesitate to let us know!

In Him,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....what can I say? As your friend an a fellow philanthropist and India lover, I say dive in and swim in the amazing, wonderful, mystical world that is India! But, as a Muslim and former Christian missionary to India, I feel very passionately against someone going to a country with so many Muslims and convincing them to worship any but their Creator. But, I enjoy reading your blog nonetheless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess part of my motivation for wanting to join an organization like this is my desire to simply serve communities in need- which is where my community development thing comes in. It's not about conversion, it's about loving people. I don't care if they are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or whatever. People are people. And so many of those people just need other's to love them and work along side them to better their communities. That's what I want to do, in whatever capacity I can, wherever I am.

    I also realized that there are many Muslims out there who are very interested in having some of their scriptures in their own mother tongue- scriptures like the Zabur, that they have heard of, but never actually seen. Part of what PBT does is translates the book of David into their mother tongue.
    Kaighla, it's not about going to a country and convincing them to worship any but their Creator. It's about giving people what they don't have but desperately need; maybe that's their scripture in their own language, or even having their language written down for the first time ever, or maybe it's providing wells for clean water, or education on HIV/AIDS or other preventable diseases.

    I guess I just wanted to say that there is more to what I want to do than going to other countries and converting people to believe what I believe. That's not who I am or what I'm about. Simply stated, I just care about hurting people and I want to help.

    And thanks for reading my blog (you may be the only one. haha!)!

    ReplyDelete