Saturday, October 31, 2015

Resources for Miscarriage



When I experienced my first loss in 2010, a gracious friend gave me a book to read. It was "Bittersweet" by Shauna Niequist. I don't know if she meant for me to keep it, or if she was just letting me borrow it. But I never returned it. I read over it, cried through it, underlined things and agonized with the author. Her experience in the book resonated with me, and in some odd sort of way, it helped.

The two losses I experienced after that also brought me back to that book. It has been a great resource in my grieving because of her transparency and because of her complete trust in God through her pain. When someone I know experiences that horrible hurt, I always recommend that book to them. It might not have the same impact on them as it did for me, but....maybe it will. I just know that I was blessed by a friend offering me something in my grief, and so I also want to be that blessing to others in that way.

Like this book, there are many great resources available for those experiencing the loss of a baby.

I simply want to share some of the resources that I am aware of, in the hopes that it might bring comfort or healing to someone else.

I haven't read all of these, but they were highly recommended to me. Feel free to add your own in the comments section. If anything  at all has helped you or impacted you as you or someone you know has dealt with loss, please share it.

Empty Arms: by Sherokee Ilse
This one offers support in the time of decisions and pressures.  It talks about returning to work, couple grief, your children, feeling guilt, future pregnancies, and loneliness.

What Was Lost: A Christian Journey through Miscarriage: by Elise Erikson Barrett
This is written by a Methodist Pastor from her own loss and insight of others.

I Never Held You: Miscarriage, Grief, Healing and Recovery: by Ellen DuBois
This one seems a little more secular but research based and compassion oriented.

Growing Through a Miscarriage

Scripture for Miscarriage

Songs for Miscarriage

Actually, this whole page from the blog Better Than Eden is pretty good and helpful:

Bittersweet: by Shauna Niequist
This one isn't necessarily about miscarriage specifically. But she does share her story and it was just one of those books that really resonated with me during those times.

1 comment:

  1. I also read Bittersweet and resonated with it after losing Max. I think it is a great read for missionaries too as we experience change and transition on steroids.

    ReplyDelete