Saturday, August 11, 2012

Breastfeeding difficulties

The past few days have been a little difficult and frustrating. For whatever reason, Jaelyn has decided that there are times when she isn't interested in breastfeeding. I've tried researching stuff online, but have really come up with nothing.
Finally I talked to a lactation consultant. She thought that maybe my milk supply was low, or that I have a slow letdown and Jaelyn is just getting frustrated when she nurses because she isn't getting it as fast as she would like.
This is what she does now: She will latch on and nurse for a few minutes. 5 at the most. Then she will turn her head and pull away, latch back on for one to two seconds, pull off and turn away. She continues to do this until she is just so frustrated she starts to cry.Then I get frustrated and start to cry.
Just kidding. But there are times that I feel like it.

So the lactation consultant suggested I pump every 3 hours for the next week to see if I can get my milk supply back up. Easier said than done!

The last few nights Jaelyn has not been sleeping so great. Last night she decided to get up ever 2 hours. So with pumping every 3 hours and Jaelyn waking every 2 hours...I haven't gotten much sleep.

I've seriously been contemplating switching to formula. I really don't want to. Let's just be honest, it's so  much more convenient to just breastfeed your infant then it is to mix formula and heat up a bottle. I'm also super selfish and like the idea of losing weight because of breastfeeding.
And of course, I know that it is just healthier and better all around to continue breastfeeding. Breast is Best, afterall!
But if she's not eating well, and something is wrong, then I don't want to continue doing it.

I will continue to pump for a few more days and see if things get better. If not, it's time to reevaluate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment