Sunday, October 23, 2011

India Update

It's difficult to put into words the various experiences we had in India, but I will give it a try.

This trip was different in many ways for everyone on the team. I guess the biggest adjustment for all of us was the fact that we weren't "doing" anything. We had all been on previous mission trips where the main goal was to build something, teaching something, get our hands dirty somehow. That was not at all our experience or goal on this trip. Our main purpose was to witness the various ministries that our hosts were a part of, to gain insight and understanding into what was going on there and to hear many stories from persecuted Christians who are continuing to stand firm in their faith despite such open hostility and resentment. We were to be the eyes and the ears of what was taking place in India so that we could spread the word when we got back home.

I have to admit, this trip was difficult for me in several ways. I struggled with feeling inadequate and unworthy as the hospitality of our Indian hosts made us feel almost like royalty. Meals were served to us, our bags were carried and we stayed in some amazing places. I felt like I didn't deserve any of it. And the truth is, I didn't. It was a lesson in humility, and I will never forget the sincerity of each individual as they served us so graciously. It reminds me of the time time Jesus took it upon himself to wash his disciples feet, and how blatantly Peter rejected the very idea. He didn't want his master, the one he was there to serve, to have to serve him. Like Peter, I too struggled with being served by those we had come to serve. But as I learned more about the people and the culture, and also about humility, I realized how important it was for them to serve us as they did.
I also struggled physically. Now I've been on several mission trips before, and I have to say I have never been this sick in so many different ways. I was sick almost the entire trip, and it only got worse as we neared the end. I am still feeling the effects, and prayerfully whatever is ailing me will come to an abrupt end. It was a struggle to remain focused and no be distracted by what was happening to me physically.

But despite the struggles I was facing, this trip proved to be one of the most eye opening trips I have ever been on. It was amazing to meet God-fearing Christians who are literally being persecuted for their faith. It's one thing to read about it in the Bible, or read about it in different stories. But the effect it has on you to stand face to face with fellow believers who are literally giving their lives for Christ is just unbelievable. We met pastors who are being beaten, stoned and set on fire for what they believe, and their faith is just astounding. There is a peace that comes over each one of them, and a fire that can be seen in their eyes. Their stories are incredible and their witness is so encouraging.
We live in a society where people are so lax in their faith and really have no consequences for believing what they do. We can choose to be a Christian and no one may even know. But in Northern India, when you choose to be a Christian you choose to abandon everything else, and you literally choose to give up your life. If that's what it comes to. And sometimes it does.

I read a quote recently that really impacted me: "If it costs you nothing to follow Christ, people can conclude that it means nothing."

This quote and the amazing stories from our  new friends really impacted me. As Phil and I are preparing to join a missions organization I really had to let all of this sink in. Am I willing to give EVERYTHING up for Christ? My plans, my comforts, my family and friends, my very life? It's a difficult pill to swallow and it's certainly hard to come to terms with. But the truth of the matter is that we all have that choice to make, no matter where we are in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment