Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Baby Blues

We have all heard about the infamous Baby Blues that people talk about. I was warned that it happens to over 50% of women, but in my mind I wasn't one that would be affected by this. Throughout my whole pregnancy I felt like I was on top of my emotions, and that I never got carried away with the hormonal surges that made me sad or angry or whatever (perhaps my husband has a different story to tell...). And so I believed that once I had the baby that I had been longing for, nothing would be different.

Boy was I wrong. Being hormonal and overwhelmed in the days and weeks after giving birth is normal. But I certainly haven't been feeling very normal. I feel like an absolute mess. And I have felt like a failure at times. Even though I was warned about the Baby Blues, nothing could have prepared me for how much I would cry. I know that it is all due to a mixture of hormones, exhaustion, and recovering from birth. But whatever the reasons, it sure is tough getting through these first few weeks.

And while it is still difficult at times (like when she only sleeps for about 10-15 minutes at a time during the night), I know that this stage will pass eventually and she will grow up faster than I want or imagine. So...while it is hard to function on little to no sleep, I'm trying to cherish every moment. Even the ones that make me feel insane.
And when my baby is crying inconsolably, which makes me cry inconsolably, I can look at  her tiny frame and thank God for such and incredible blessing because I know that someday she will be all grown up and I will miss even these moments.

Also, I have a great support system in my husband. What a wonderful husband and father he is! He knows when I'm at my breaking point, ready to sob at the next cry our baby lets out. And so he will take her and let me have a relaxing bubble bath, or whatever it is that I need. It's so amazing to have a supportive partner in all of this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Phil is such a great support for you! If you ever need me to do a little babysitting, let me know!

    ReplyDelete