Saturday, April 14, 2012

One day, Two funerals, Three Lessons

Today was a strange day. A sad day. Two people from my home town died in the past week. It was a strange mix of emotions. It's always a reality check when someone you know dies. Life is so short.

One of the funerals was for a grade school teacher. He was a great man and an amazing teacher. So full of life and love. He cared deeply for his students, and it was evident in  his service. He was older, though not very old. His death was sudden, and it was a shock. So many loved him dearly, and it was sad to hear of his passing.
His funeral was quite nice though. So many people there to offer there support, and to grieve for a man that was well loved.
It was a celebration of a life well lived. It was sad to be at his funeral, but, as far as funerals go, it was a nice one. When I die, I want people to celebrate. He passed from this life into the next one, and we can all rest assure of where he is now.

The other funeral was for a high school classmate. Her passing was quite a shock. She was young. My age. And she had a little boy. It was devastating news, and something that is still hard to wrap my mind around. Someone dying so young always strikes a nerve in me. It's hard for me to process. Especially if I knew the person.
Her funeral was less of a celebration of a life well lived, and more of a mourning for a life lost too early. My heart breaks for this family. She died way too soon. Her life was riddled with struggle and conflict. She just couldn't overcome her drug addiction. And, in the end, it prevailed over her. A tragedy to be sure.
Her death is still a shock to my system, and I'm having difficulty processing everything that encompasses her passing.
Life is way too short.

And here are the 3 lessons I have learned from this experience:

1. Life really is short: The reality of this life is that we sometimes spend too much time focusing on the wrong things. I want to live my life in such a way that I focus on the things that truly matter, and forget about the trivial matters. People are so important! Our family and friends matter so much. I need to show them that.

2. Sharing matters much: I may feel intrusive or worry about how people will perceive me if I share my faith with others. But this stuff matters. Tragedy happens all around us. And it happens every day. Who am I to decide who gets to hear, and who doesn't? It's not up to me. I need to share because it does matter much.

3. People need us: We cannot neglect those around us that appear to be suffering, or are closing themselves off to friends and family. Whether they want us to or not, we need to be there for those around us. If someone you know is depressed or is acting very secluded, or is just down in the dumps, it is essential to take that small step and let them know you care. A hand written note, a text, a phone call, a visit. Small gestures mean so much to those that are in the pit and feel alone and neglected.
If we care for those around us...perhaps less tragedy will strike.

Life is difficult. We need to be there for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment