Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gestational Diabetes

Nobody likes to be told that something could be wrong with them. And so, when I went to the doctor after drinking that nasty glucose drink, and the nurse told me I might possibly be at risk for gestational diabetes, I was terribly worried.

Now I have heard many women say that they failed the first test, only to pass the second one. But that didn't ease my mind. And it certainly didn't help matters that Phil continued to joke about me being "diabetic", and tried to monitor my food intake.

And so, for three days I worried that I would have to start taking insulin, that my baby would come out giant, and that I would have to deliver her early (that part wouldn't be so bad!).

Yesterday I went to the lab for my 4 hours of blood draws. Both of my arms make me appear to be a junky. It was not a fun time. Strange people come to the lab!

After that long and boring experience, I treated myself to salad and bread sticks at Olive Garden with some friends.

A few hours later the nurse called me, and gave me some surprisingly great news! She said that I passed all four of the tests, which is amazing because most people fail at least one of them. Turns out, it was really kind of bogus for me to have had to get the long test done. My original number was just off by one point. One point!

She told me to "just keep doing what you're doing. You're doing great!"

So there Phil!! No more jokes about this "diabetic"!

No comments:

Post a Comment