Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The pains of lugging around a tiny person

I love being pregnant! It's fun and exciting, and it's such a joy to feel a little human moving around and pushing on your abdomen. It's so neat to see her twisting and turning under my skin. Even the somewhat painful jabs to the ribs are quite endearing.
I really do love being pregnant. But, this whole pregnancy thing comes with a price.

Pain.

Who knew that there were so many different pains associated with carrying a baby? Probably most people are aware of this. But for someone reason, I always just thought pregnancy was fun and rewarding and really nothing negative to contribute. How wrong I was.

It's just little things, like heartburn, fatigue, and swollen feet. But then there are some other strange things, such as a good swift kick to the vaginal area. Thanks a lot honey, mommy really appreciates that. Or strange pelvic pressures that makes you think the baby is falling out. Strange sensations indeed.

My newest ailment is loss of balance and light headed-ness. That is not a good combination.

Yesterday I was taking the trash out. Somehow I missed the one and only step we have and managed to fall right outside my door. It was awkward and embarrassing. Looking back, it's quite comical to me, but in the moment is was anything but funny. I managed to scrape up my hand and leg, and I sort of fell on the side of my stomach. It took a lot of effort to get up, and by the time I was walking back towards the apartment, I was sobbing.
Being scared + bruised ego + hormones = sobbing uncontrollably

It startled me more than anything. And, of course, for the rest of the day I was nervous that I had hurt Jaelyn. I googled falling while pregnant, and almost everything I read said that babies are greatly protected in the womb, and that trauma to the baby is only likely if there was great trauma to the mother. No trauma here!

Can I just say though, that my great fall did nothing to help the pelvic pain I was already feeling! Needless to say, I spent the majority of the day lounging on the couch.

Phil also informed me that I'm not allowed to go outside anymore...!
Gotta love those fathers-to-be!

No comments:

Post a Comment