Monday, February 13, 2012

So Whitney Houston died...

I have a very difficult time wrapping my mind around death. Not that I am affected by Whitney Houston's death the way many people are. Here is my beef with her death (or rather, with the ridiculous response to her death):

Yes, a well known and very famous person in our society has suddenly died. And yes it is sad and tragic. It is sad for her family and loved ones that she is gone. But ya know what, here is one celebrity. One person. Compare that to the hundreds of thousands of people that die every single day. Where are those that mourn for them? Where is the heartache and tragedy and sadness for those people? We never even hear about the babies and children that die every single day from starvation. Or the moms and dads that die from AIDS. Or those that are brutalized and killed by rebel armies, or gangs, or traffickers. Are these not news worthy?

Whitney Houston, who supposedly died of a drug overdose, is talked about constantly and people who didn't even know her are mourning this tragedy. But nobody dears to talk about these voiceless victims who die in the streets daily,  who die of hunger and disease every day.

It breaks my heart. It angers me. It makes me so sad.

And now I will step down off of my soapbox...

No comments:

Post a Comment