Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hit on and Run over

Today I was working at the Bread Line. It's a soup kitchen that serves two meals a day, and today I worked there for both of those meals. It was quite the experience.

For starters, this somewhat creepy and very old guy started blowing kisses at me through the window before he ever even got into the building. I just shook my head no and continued on with what I was doing. When he finally got into the building, he made his way over to me and proceeded to explain to me that he wasn't going to bother me. Well okay then. But through the duration of his meal he continued to stare at me.
This other gentlemen, who informed me that he was 30 years old, tried everything in the book to get my phone number. When I explained to him that I had a boyfriend, he asked how long we had been dating, if I really loved him and if he loved me. He then told me that he wanted to try and break us up. Unfortunately for me, this guy stuck around for about an hour trying to get my number.
I must say that I don't think I have ever felt more awkward and uncomfortable while doing volunteer work. I didn't mind the work so much, but I just felt self-conscious and very uncomfortable as these grown men stared at me and said very inappropriate things to me.
And, to top it all off... this lady in an electric wheelchair ran right over me! Not only did she run over me, but she did so while I was trying to get HER some food. :) It was quite comical. Very painful, but pretty funny too. I'm still not entirely sure why she ran over me.

The somewhat creepy and very old guy returned again for the second meal. He stared at me the entire time again- and again told me that he wasn't going to bother me.

Oh the life of an intern...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! A post 2 days in a row! Look at you...you're turning into a blogger.

    Oh, and I'm sorry that you were hit on by creepy men and run over by that lady...at least it makes a good story. Tell me I don't have to be run over by a lady in an electric wheelchair just so we can have more things in common!

    ReplyDelete