Monday, April 20, 2009

A Glorious Reunion

A Glorious Reunion

This past weekend I got to see the lady I stayed with while I was in Kenya. Her name is Mary. She was in Indianapolis speaking at a church about what's going on in Mathare. I was so excited to see her. Heather, who also went to Kenya last summer, and I drove there Saturday for the service. We thought we were on time, but turns out there was a time change. So we were actually half an hour late. But it worked out to our benefit.
When we walked in the church we saw a guy that we went to college with- who happens to work there. We told him why we were there and then he asked us if we wanted to go backstage and see Mary. Of course we said yes. So he took us back where she was. As soon as we walked in, she just stared at us. Then immediately got up and her eyes starting watering. I didn't know that she had no idea we were coming. We totally surprised her.
Oh my gosh... seeing Mary again brought back a flood of memories and emotions. We just kept hugging each other. She couldn't believe I was there. She said "Oh Sarah...". And a little bit later she said "You made it back." I never got her email address, so she hasn't heard from me since I left Kenya so suddenly that night back in January. It was a glorious reunion indeed.

Some days, like Saturday, I just wish so badly that I had never left Kenya.

1 comment:

  1. I might as well leave a comment on this one as well. I mean, I have commented on all the others and I am sitting in the office bored out of my mind...so why not? And this will take like 10 minutes to post because the computer in the office is a piece of junk and hasn't had software updates since 03.

    ReplyDelete