Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Pains of Spontaneity

Yesterday I decided to be a little adventurous. I've been cooped up in our tiny living quarters for far too long, and I needed a breath of fresh air. Little did I know that being spontaneous came with a price.

At first, I was just going to walk to the post office. I had a general idea of where it was, so I made myself a bagel sandwich and headed out into the heat. I really had no idea that it was going to be that hot outside. But, I told myself that I was a brave little soul, and that a little heat wouldn't kill me. The workers outside the front door greeted me with a hearty hello. I just grunted and waved, as my mouth was full of bagel sandwich. Later I wondered what they were doing right outside the front door. The empty lot next to the house is being turned into a parking lot, so there are always workers and big trucks out there making lots of noise. But that is the side of the house, not the front. Strange.

So I knew that the Post Office was on 8th street, but I wasn't entirely sure how to get to 8th street. Later I found out that 8th street was just the next street over from the house. So, if I had turned right, instead of left, when I was leaving, I would have been on the street I needed to be on. I guess I should have looked at the street signs a little closer, because I didn't realize that I was on 9th street the entire time. I just kept trudging along in the heat, hoping that one of the streets would turn into 8th. It never did. Finally, I happened to notice that I was on 9th street and that I just needed to walk a block to get to my street of destination.

Once on 8th street, I wasn't sure which way to walk down. Had I passed up the post office, or did I still need to continue walking in the same direction I had been on 9th street? I decided that I just didn't know. So I texted Chacha the address for the post office in Quincy. Chacha is a service that answers your questions through text messages. It can be awfully convenient when you're in a real bind. However, my experience with chacha has been less than ideal. I don't know why I continue to bother with it.
For example, Phil and I were driving to Quincy the other day. All of a sudden, the sky looked very ominous and then it started pouring and lightening and thundering. It was quite scary. I texted Chacha to see if there were any tornados in the area. Chacha texted me back and declared that I was out of questions and that I would have to wait a certain amount of days to ask another question. I thought that odd, considering I hadn't sent them any messages for quite some time. Phil insisted that I text on his phone. I did. And Chacha said that they needed me to answer 4 questions before they would answer my question.
I was quite taken aback. Considering this could have been a life and death situation. I begrudgingly answered their lame questions and finally got my answer. The answer was that there were thunderstorms in the area. That's it?! Obviously there are thunderstorms. We were caught in the middle of it. I just wanted to know if there was a tornado that we should be aware of.

This question asking escapade wasn't any better. Instead of giving me the address to the post office in Quincy, Chacha gave me the addresses of the post offices in all of the surrounding towns. I was thoroughly annoyed.
Finally I just picked a direction and started walking. Luckily I only had to walk about 5 feet, because I was standing in front of the post office the entire time.

After I got my stamps, I decided that it would be a great idea to walk all the way to the mall. From the house, it is a little over two miles. But I was quite a distance from the house. I don't know how far it was, but I can tell you that it was no easy task. I wore these sandals that I thought would be comfortable. And they are pretty comfortable, if you're not trudging in them for miles. By the time I got halfway there, my feet hurt so bad I thought I might cry.
Finally I made it to the mall. I decided that I would take my shoes off, but strangely enough my feet hurt just as bad with them off as they did with them on. I didn't understand it.
I limped around the mall, trying to find the store that I had went there for.
My best friends bachelorette party is next month, and I needed to get her some goodies. Luckily we got a gift card from our wedding, so I was allowed to use that.

After finishing up my shopping, I tried getting ahold of Phil because there was no way I could walk back to the house. Sadly, my phone was dying and I wasn't sure I would get ahold of him. I needed him to pick me up on his way back from work.
After what seemed like an eternity, Phil got the message and headed my way. Another eternity later, and he was there. As I got in the car Phil informed that some punk kid had side swiped him while driving down the road. But Phil was too tired and frustrated to care at the moment and didn't stop.
I was just happy to be off my feet.
And I think the next time I decide to be spontaneous...I will wear more comfortable shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment