Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Period of Mourning

It’s getting closer. The restlessness within tells me that change is just around the corner. The excitement that comes with something new, with an adventure, has been bubbling up within me for years now. The anticipation of what’s to come is almost too much to stand.
Our journey starts in 2 months. In 2 months we pack up all of our belongings, say goodbye to beloved family and friends, and move to Texas for the last part of our training Stateside. In 2 months we leave…

I am thrilled beyond belief. I am overjoyed about this opportunity. I am excited that what I have always dreamed, what I have always said I would do, what I know I am being called to do, is finally happening. The preparation, the schooling, the dreaming….it’s all becoming a reality- it’s all finally coming together. And I am filled with joy.

But I am also filled with sorrow.

When I think about leaving…I almost can’t stand it. The pain that billows up inside of me is overwhelming. It’s not something that I have ever experienced. It is immense heartache. It is loss. The thought of saying goodbye brings tears to my eyes. I can’t even write this without crying.

Time and again I have asked God to take this cup from me- to allow me to do missions in some other way. Is there a way that I can do this and not have to leave everyone I love?


It’s bittersweet. I am so excited to go. I have wanted to do this for years. But I’m also mourning the loss of the closeness of family and friends. I don’t want to leave everyone. But God has called us on this journey right now, and I know that He will ease the burden in some way. I will always feel the sting of leaving those I love, but I am trusting that God will somehow, someway, make it not unbearable. 

But right now, I am mourning what I will be losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment